Address: Suite 5 High Street House, 2 The High Street, Yeadon, Leeds, UK, LS19 7PP
Landline: 0344 33...
Charity, Transgender, Children, Families, Gender, Support, Training, Education, Advocacy, LGBT
Mermaids UK offers support to transgender and gender variant young people and their families.
Mermaids provide helpline and email support services, parents and teens online forums, training into schools, social services, and many other agencies supporting children, residential family weekends, local groups at 8 locations nationwide, campaigning and advocacy, speaking at conferences and events nationwide, raising awareness by attending Pride and other LGBT events, young trans people and their families, advisory liaison service with EHRC, DofE, GEO and other agencies to help identify and combat poor practice.
Mermaids was founded in the UK in 1995 and has grown to provide UK wide support to thousands of families with transgender or gender non-conforming children. Mermaids is the only UK wide charity working in this field and the only one signposted by the NHS, NSPCC and Childline. Last year Mermaids supported over 2,000 people plus reached over 200 professionals working with young people.
• Helpline and email information and support service
• Parents and teens online forums
• Residential weekends for whole family
• Local groups at 8 locations nationwide
• Campaigning and advocacy
• Speaking at conferences and events nationwide
• Raising awareness by attending Pride and other LGBT events
• Training into schools, social services, and many other agencies supporting children, young trans people and their families
• Liaise with EHRC, DofE, GEO and other agencies to help identify and combat poor practice
• Sparkle Charity of the Year
• Sparkle Diversity Champion of the Year for our CEO Susie Green
• National Diversity Awards Charity of the Year
• Helplines Partnership Helpline of the Year - 3rd place
• Pink News Awards Charity of the Year
• Children and Young People Awards Charity of the Year
• European Diversity Awards Charity of the Year